I have used this little bit of advice in my blog before; but it bears repeating. Giving up is NOT a good idea, changing your course, changing your method, changing what you are trying to accomplish are OK, but giving up is not.
I took a break from my workout routine for the past couple of weeks, not really giving up, but I had a horrible sinus infection and some tiny bit of drama going on in my life so I “took a break”. Here are the TOP 5 reasons it is not a good idea to take a break –
5. You lose ground, all of that hard work to get where you were, and now that you have taken two steps back that is an extra two steps you have to take again.
4. You know you want to workout, your mind is craving it even if you body is trying to convince you otherwise.
3. You start to think of other things to do, like eat too much, or spend too much, or watch some awful reality TV. I will not knock you for wanting to have an extra glass of wine though ;).
2. People still ask you about your running, boot camp, progress and you either have to lie or tell them about your “break”.
1. The number one reason not to take a break – your body will hate you for it! When you get back to it and decide that an hour of leg work at boot camp one day and then a run the next day is a good idea; your thighs will scream at you like a colicky infant!
Understand that I do know there are times when you have to take a break, injury, severe illness, etc. even my sinus infection could have warranted a few days. But two weeks!? No way!
Do yourself a favor, the next time you think you are too busy or too tired instead of sitting down and resting go for a run or to the gym. I have never regretted working out, but I have regretted NOT doing it.
2 thoughts on “Give me a break! Or not…”
I was just thinking about how I give up soooo easily on everything I set out to accomplish. Even the most simplest tasks! I was going to “reschedule” going to the gym tonight, as it will be my first night back after a “long break”, but after reading this, I think I’ll go and at least do something for 20 min or so. I’ll be happy I did!
I understand Tami, it can be tough to carry on sometimes. But tonight they will be 20 fabulous minutes! You will be happy that you did.